Published: February 18th, 2015
Recent version: 1.2.0 (April 22nd, 2016)
The 15 puzzle. Solve it in the least moves in the shortest time!
About the app
The 15 puzzle known also as Game of Fifteen is a sliding puzzle consisting of a frame of 4x4 shuffled numbered tiles with one missing. The object of this puzzle is to place the tiles in the correct order from 1 to 15 by drag'n'dropping moves. If you want to solve an image instead of numbers the app offers you some pre-loaded photos, or you can choose one of your own photos.
I have programmed this app formerly during my university studies (approx. in the year 1997) as a Java Applet published on my student web pages. A motivation for me in those days was to learn Java programming.
Nowadays the goal when developing was similar: to learn Android programming. Creating the app I used plenty of former graphics but also many pieces of former source code.
The name H15 was created as an abbreviation of Hra 15 which is Czech translation of Game of Fifteen and it was also a name of a former Java class. I have published this game on Google Play™ as H15 - the 15 puzzle to be better searchable with keywords "15 puzzle."
Android version: 2.2 and higher
Required permissions: read the external storage - memory card (to access your photos)
Languages: Czech, English (default)
GDPR: this app does not collect, store or share any personal data.
How to play
- Click "Start new game" button to start a new game. You choose if you want to solve numbers or an image.
- A game board appears. If you choose to solve an image the game board contains a button "Select image." Clicking it you can choose an image you want to solve. You may choose one from the images distributed with the app and of course, you may choose to solve your own image (clicking the "Custom..." button).
- Click "Start" button on the game board shuffles the tiles and starts the clock.
- A black square on the game board represents the missing tile. You can move the tiles to the empty place by dragging them (click is enough).
- After you finish the game is evaluated. Clicking the "Statistics" button you can see your best and average score. The game keeps statistics separately for the numbers and for the image game.
- Clicking "Give up" you can discard your game. The game will end and your current score won't be calculated to the statistics.
- If you finish or give up the game the gameboard stays displayed. If you want to play different game type (for example, if you played an image and you want to play numbers) go to the main menu by clicking the "Back" button and start a new game here.
- If you click "back" or "home" button on your cell phone while playing the game the game is interrupted and its intermediate state is stored. Clicking "Continue last game" you can finish your interrupted game.
- Clicking "How to play" you may display this manual (it is distributed together with the app). Or you may start the tutorial which will guide you through the game.
- Clicking "Visit game web" you may display these web pages in the web browser.
Of course, it was my intention to keep the gameboard displayed after you finish or give up a game. Testing the game I wanted to play more than one image. I found it uncomfortable to start the game always from the main menu in such case.
If you noticed white corners in the images "Windmill" and "Sailing ship" it was my intention as well. After dividing these images to the game tiles three optically same blue squares would be created.
- Version: 1.2.0
Roll-out date: April 22nd, 2016
News: A user manual and a tutorial directly in the app - more details here (if you understand Czech). The app offers the tutorial to the newcomers.
- Version: 1.1.1
Roll-out date: September 18th, 2015
News: Adjustment of the game board background: removed the gray circle as the missing tile when solving an image (confusing - more details here if you understand Czech), original missing tile made a little darker. Bugfix: dialogs and device rotation.
- Version: 1.1.0
Roll-out date: June 19th, 2015
News: Choice to put together an image instead of the numbers. The app installs to the external storage (memory card).
- Version: 1.0.1
Roll-out date: March 27th, 2015
News: Support for tablets, the link to author's web replaced with the link to the game web (this page). Support for long cell phones postponed for now.
- Version: 1.0 0
Roll-out date: February 18th, 2015
Basic implementation only with numbers. Score statistics.
... that most probably won't be fulfilled. Don't be afraid, I still like this app. Nevertheless, the other apps and projects are nowadays a bigger challenge for me.
- Version: 1.3.0
Planned roll-out: not specified yet
Planned news: Time attack - solve the puzzle within a time limit.
- Version: 2.0.0
Planned roll-out: not specified yet
Planned news: Sharing the score on social networks, global leaderboard, possibly also support for long cell phones (HTC Endeavour and similar).
- Further ideas: the photo for the puzzle directly from the cell phone camera
Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.